Friday, June 3, 2011

Begin with Sleep, End with Sleep


A few Friday's ago Lincoln and I headed off to stake Fathers and Sons campout. I was a little nervous about how he'd do, but I figured if I can handle 3 kids out home, there's a slight chance I'll be able to handle one on a campout. I've always enjoyed camping, so this was a great excuse to finally get to go camping in Kentucky. When we started out Lincoln quickly fell asleep in the car. It could have been because my car was so hot because the air conditioning wasn't working then.

The campsite was at a farm of someone in our ward, so luckily the drive wasn't very long. It turns out we were just in a big grassy field. Cars would pull up right to where they wanted to unpack and unload everything. Having a 2 year old with me, I really appreciated that. The field was nice and big and there was plenty of room to play games. There was even a little swing set that Lincoln enjoyed playing on.

When I opened my tent, I noticed all the polls were separated. For anyone who has set up a lot of tents they know that most tents have stretchy rope through the polls to hold them all together. Apparently somehow all that string had broken in my tent and now my polls had to string to keep them together. I tried to pull the string back through, but it was useless as the string was in about 30 different pieces. Finally, a member of the ward pointed out that the tension of the tent would keep the polls together as long as it didn't get really windy or anything. We tried it out and it worked like a charm. Lincoln loved being in a tent. In fact, he didn't want to leave it, so while he played in it, I went and played a football game with some of the youth.
We had a nice program and Lincoln was a true boy and loved seeing the fire and wanted to throw stuff in it a lot. When he was finally ready for bed I went and laid down next to him in the tent. Sadly, our tent was also near the capture the flag field, so it took him a while to fall asleep, but eventually did. (Joe forgot to include that Lincoln wanted to hold his hand while they laid there together and Lincoln fell asleep that way.  So cute!)  I then went out to talk to everyone. Lincoln was so tired that he slept through breakfast. When he finally woke up we packed up and got him home. I think we both had a great time.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed it. After Joseph fell asleep, I stayed up at the camp fire as well. - T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it too soon for Jay to take Thomas?;) These sound fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how it would work out since Jay's not lactating. They did have fun.

    ReplyDelete